If you love being tan year-round but weren’t lucky enough to be born with a deep, bronzed skin tone, you have probably spent too much time and money trying to achieve that perfect tan. The sun and tanning beds can cause irreversible damage to your skin and sunless tanning products can have a horrible smell and include toxic chemicals. If you want to save money and avoid commercial sunless tanning products, I suggest you learn how to make your own sunless tanning products.
Cocoa Powder Sunless Tanning Lotion
This is the simplest sunless tanning lotion to make. It only requires two ingredients; unscented white lotion and 100% pure cocoa powder. You can use any cocoa powder as long as it says 100% pure on the label.
- Start out by combining 1/2 cup of unscented white lotion in a bowl with 1/3 cup of pure cocoa powder.
- Mix with a fork. Make sure to break up any clumps and blend well.
- Adjust the recipe to match your desired color. The lotion will appear darker in the bowl than it will on your skin. Keep adding a little bit of cocoa powder at a time until you reach your desired shade.
- Smooth the tanning lotion over your entire body evenly.
- Apply daily for a gradual deep tan.
Tips: Store homemade lotion in a Tupperware container or in an empty jar that once held lotion, exfoliate before application and you will be able to see the color as you apply it.
Carrot-Based Homemade Sunless Tanning Oil
Sunless tanning oils are even better than lotions because there is even less of a chance of streaks. Less oil is needed to cover your entire body than lotion ounce per ounce. It is quick to spray on and rub in after your shower. All you need is: 3/4 gallon of water (3 quarts), 1 pound of fresh carrots (unpeeled) and 2 cups of brown sugar.
- Rinse the carrots and cut them into thin slices.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the sliced carrots and brown sugar.
- Reduce heat and simmer for three hours.
- Turn off the stove and let the sunless tanning oil cool.
- Pour the oil through a strainer to separate the clumps from the liquid.
- Pour the self-tanner into a spray bottle. You can get these for a dollar at Dollar Tree.
- Apply once every week to maintain color.
- Make sure there are no pieces of the carrot in your tanning solution, or they will clog your spray bottle, and the oil will not come out properly.
Coffee or Tea Homemade Sunless Tanning Lotion
For this tanning lotion, you can choose to use coffee or tea. It’s common knowledge that these drinks can stain your teeth, leaving an undesired effect; they can also “stain” your skin, leaving you with a beautiful tan color. No matter which one you chose, make sure you use the caffeinated type, the caffeine can actually help firm and tighten the skin to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and even cellulite. Use either coffee grounds or tea bags (caffeinated) and unscented white lotion.
- Brew coffee or tea just like you normally would. If using coffee, use enough grounds for an entire pot but only enough water to make one cup. If using tea, use enough tea bags (typically three to four) to make a gallon of tea, but only about one cup of water. This is typically three to four family-sized tea bags.
- Mix enough lotion and coffee/tea to get your desired color. The more coffee or tea you add, the darker your tan will develop.
- Put the resulting mixture in a spray bottle and apply it. Use weekly or bi-weekly for best results.
- If you would like to, you don’t even have to add the lotion; the tea/coffee liquid works just fine on its own.
Take away tip
If you don’t want a sunless tan, you can even make your own outdoor tanning oil. All you need is some olive oil and iodine. Just mix a couple of drops of iodine with a cup of olive oil, and you are ready to go. Put it in a spray bottle for easy use, apply, and get your tan on!
Q&A: How to make coffee or tea sunless tanning lotion?
If you have the answer please send it to (email@example.com) and receive 10% discount on the upcoming (CST) certified SPA therapist course from FACTS.